Asset 22
Tax Tips for Mystery Shoppers

Tax Tips for Mystery Shoppers

When you register as a shopper with 360 Relay and begin to complete mystery shops for our company, your status is that of an Independent Contractor. You must understand what your role as an Independent Contractor entails, especially as you proceed with filing your federal and state tax returns. For specific questions about Independent Contractor employment status with 360 Relay, you can refer to your signed IC agreement, which is located within your iSS account under provider contracts and policies. For more general questions regarding IC status, visit any government-supported website outlining this employment designation.

At this time of year, we field many questions from shoppers requesting 1099’s or other tax forms regarding their earnings from our company. As an Independent Contractor, it is your responsibility to monitor and track your earnings, and 360 Relay is not obligated to provide any tax documentation.  All of the shop payments submitted to you from our company can be found by clicking on ‘payments’ within your iSS account. From there, you are able to filter by date and download the list of payments into Excel format for more concise viewing.

360 Relay pays all of its shoppers through either PayPal or Venmo. To confirm (or change) your desired payment method, log into your iSS account and click on update extended profile. From there, you can see if you have chosen PayPal or Venmo, and the account you have linked through your iSS profile. Through these two platforms’ websites, you are able to pull the tax documentation that you need to proceed with the filing of your taxes. Both PayPal and Venmo offer resources through their websites that can aid in answering frequently asked questions concerning earnings as an Independent Contractor.

While we aren’t at liberty to provide any tax advice, we do recommend reviewing the resources offered through the PayPal and Venmo platforms. If you aren’t able to get your questions answered through those two platforms, we do recommend that you talk to a tax professional and there are a lot of companies with an online presence that offer assistance with these matters. Companies such as TurboTax and H&R Block, among others – offer free assistance and are easy to engage with through their chat features and other communication methods. Policies and laws differ depending on the state you reside in, and it’s important that you are getting personalized answers to your questions.

Please direct any questions you have about this matter or anything else you are unclear about regarding your Independent Contractor status to our Shopper Help Desk. We will always respond within 24 hours of your inquiry with either an answer or a solution. As always, if we can’t assist you directly, we are more than happy to point you in the right direction to ensure you get the answers you seek.  We appreciate you being a shopper for our company and we strive to offer as much assistance as we can to ensure you have the information you need to conduct shops for our company with clarity and confidence.